Monday, December 14, 2015

Joy to the World

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope." - Romans 15:13.

It's the time of year where joy seems to abound, even to those who are generally grumpy or cranky. It's almost impossible to be without some kind of joy at this time of year, simply because of the music on the radio, the happiness of those who love this season, and the jubilation and excitement from kids waiting for Santa.

Truthfully, I was one of those who wasn't feeling very joyous this year; I was a real Scrooge. But my best friend refused to allow me to continue being a Scrooge - she'd taken it upon herself to make me enjoy this season, instead of saying "Bah Humbug" to all the festivities.

It's a bit ironic that while I wanted to a be Scrooge (which I no longer am), I wanted to spread joy to those around me. Even if I wasn't particularly looking forward to this season of celebration, renewal and exultation, I wanted to make sure everybody else had a great season.

This brings me to the topic I wanted to discuss: bringing joy to those around us.

My church decided to do something they called the #giveJoy initiative. In essence, they gave $100 to each small group (basically Sunday School), and each group could use it in any way they wanted in order to spread joy to those around them, including to help those within the church. I was excited about this opportunity to bless someone, but I had no idea that I would also be the one being blessed.

That sounds cliche: it's a blessing to bless others. But, truly, I wasn't even thinking about how I would be impacted because of a mere $100.

I contacted the woman my small group was paired with, and within minutes I had learned so much about her that my heart was breaking for her. She desperately needed help, and I was honored that my group had been selected to help her and her daughter have a great Christmas season.

It's only been 6 days since our initial conversation, but she has impacted my life so much more than we have impacted hers. But let me back up some.

During our initial conversation, she explained that her husband walked out on her and her daughter in January, so she lost her insurance coverage. Then she lost her job in September. Plus, her daughter's in a growth spurt, so she needs new clothes, but because she doesn't have a job, she can't afford anything. On top of this, they had only recently begun going to our church and didn't know anybody, so she felt excluded and like nobody cared.

Well, after our talk, I spoke with my small group about how we could spend our $100. Let me tell you - with a $15 off coupon and shopping on the clearance rack, $100 can go a long way. We went shopping on Sunday afternoon and bought her daughter probably 20 different outfits, a Bible, and then just some girly stuff just for fun. Then we decided to buy her mom a Bible of her own, a DVD player, another member of my group donated a TV, and a spa package - most of which was covered by our own pockets.

She and her daughter have also become honorary members of our small group - they may not fit the 'criteria' for our group, but we don't care. They now have people they know at church so they don't feel like outsiders. They have some backing when they need prayer warriors. And the mom has even decided to volunteer with the kids ministry on Wednesday nights. They're getting plugged in, and diving deeper towards God. All in 6 days!

Not to mention, we have also helped line her up with a few job interviews, thanks to the mother of one of our small group members. So hopefully soon, she will also have a job again and be on her way to getting back on her feet.

Now, how in the world could all of that impacted and blessed me, you ask?

Because, seeing her gratitude for everything has shown me to be thankful no matter what, even when I want to be a Scrooge. Seeing her lean on God through her trials has taught me to never remove my focus from Him, even when it's so tempting. Seeing a smile on her face when it was evident she hadn't smiled in a long time brought joy to my soul. Seeing her daughter light up every time she talks about the friends she's made at church and how excited she is to talk about God makes my heart swell.

Bringing joy to them has brought joy to my life, as cliche as that sounds.

So, when you're going through a tough time where you don't want to be joyous, I recommend being a blessing and bringing joy to someone else. Because chances are good, you'll get a heavy dose of it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment